10 Steps to Protect Your Business from Theft
10 STEPS TO PROTECT YOUR BUSINESS FROM THEFT
Your business is your livelihood, and it is only natural that you want to make sure it is protected from both internal and external threats. We have compiled a list of ten steps you can take to help protect your business from theft:
- Deadbolts—install double-cylinder deadbolts (with at least a 1-inch throw containing a hardened steel insert and latch guard) with removable collars on all inside security doors and outside entrances. All serial numbers should be concealed to prevent new keys from being made and all padlocks should be mounted on bolted hasps, made of hardened steel, and always locked to prevent exchange.
- Windows—should have secure locks with burglar-resistant glass treatments and a glass break sensor alarm. Heavy metal grates may be appropriate for high vulnerability windows (i.e. rear windows).
- Cash register—your cash register should be kept in plain view from outside the building to facilitate easy monitoring—it should also be left open when not in use and/or empty.
- Doors—all security and outside doors should be solidly constructed, with unyielding door jambs, metal lines, and secured with heavy metal crossbars. Jambs around all doors must be solid, and exposed hinges should be securely pinned to avoid removal.
- Lighting—must provide optimum visibility, both inside and out, with outside lights having vandal-proof covers over the lights and power sources. Your entire perimeter must be well-lit, especially around doors and other possible entries.
- Safe/Strongbox—should be anchored securely, burglar-resistant, fireproof, and in plain view. It is recommended that you change the combination of the safe/strongbox whenever someone with access to the passcode is released from your employment.
- Perimeter Fences—the fence should permit visibility of your business by police and neighbors while simultaneously providing a sufficient barrier to keep intruders out.
- Key Controls & ID Numbers—although a master key system (one key to open every lock) may seem convenient, this can also be a security risk. We recommend handing out keys responsibly, coding all keys, not allowing employees to make duplicates, and keeping keys safely locked when not in use. If you suspect that your key security has been tampered with, immediately change your locks. Keeping records of serial numbers on all equipment and marking equipment with clearly visible ID number should help to recover stolen equipment after a theft/break-in has occurred.
- Building Exterior—all openings and exterior areas should be secured (including the walls, roof, and basement). Quality visibility can be maintained by preventing trash bins, vehicles, equipment, boxes, etc. near your building, where they could potentially provide opportunities for thieves to access and enter through your roof.
- Alarm System: last, but certainly not least, your company should be equipped with a state-of-the art alarm system that has been installed by a licensed alarm company with a central monitoring station, such as Desert Alarm Inc., located in the Coachella Valley in California.
At Desert Alarm Inc., we understand the challenges and potential threats facing today’s businesses. Our specialty is creating custom-tailored commercial security systems that not only keep your business secure while you are away, but also protect you from loss due to workers compensation fraud and employee theft.
We offer a variety of user-friendly Business Security alarm systems for any size corporation, 24-hour a day monitoring with armed patrol response, affordable monthly fees, and remote access security systems that enable you to:
- Arm and disarm your system from any location
- Monitor when your employees have checked into work
- Conveniently view your operation from anywhere in the world with your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- Check current system status
- View sensor and system activity
- Remotely disable or set up user codes
- Search activity history
- Receive customized notifications and alerts for power outages, alarms, and critical conditions
- Keep track of when employees disarm or arm the security system
- Set an automated scheduled to disarm/arm the system at particular times each day
- Have access to patrol systems for daily property inspections and patrol services
WHY CHOOSE DESERT ALARM?
Desert Alarm, Inc. is a local home alarm company that has provided cutting edge security services for our neighbors here in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Palm Desert) for over 24 years. Our services go far beyond simple home security measures—we want to keep you and your business safe from any and all threats, whether you are at home, on the road, or out of town. We have served over 17,000 local customers, and take pride in giving our clients the peace of mind that comes from knowing their family, home, and property are safe and secure.