How to Stay Safe when Your Away From Home
MOBILE SAFETY: HOW TO STAY SAFE WHEN AWAY FROM HOME
There are a number of pragmatic steps you can take to help keep your family and yourself safe when you are away from home, whether you are running errands, shopping, driving, or going for a walk/run:
- Avoid dark, deserted areas and park your car in populated, well-lit locations. Keep your car keys in your hand before you reach your vehicle.
- Be observant and aware of your surroundings—if you feel uncomfortable or observe something suspicious, report it immediately and remain indoors.
- Lock your car doors while driving.
- Do not leave packages, your car keys, or valuables in your car where they might be visible to thieves—make sure all valuables are locked inside your trunk.
- If you become lost while walking or driving, find the nearest public place and ask for directions.
- Take different walking/driving routes when traveling to work or running errands—do not become a creature of habit, as routine makes you more vulnerable to theft.
- Never leave children unattended in your vehicle.
- Check the back seat of your car before entering.
- Walk with confidence in an alert, self-assured manner—individuals who appear aware of their surroundings are less likely to become targets than those who appear confused or timid.
- Whenever possible, avoid carrying jewelry, valuables, or large sums of money on your person when you are out and about.
- Be cautious when approached by strangers, and avoid getting into an elevator alone with a stranger.
- Leave important documents (i.e. medical records, birth certificates) at home.
- Travel with a companion and use credit cards instead of cash when traveling.
- If a driver stops to ask you for directions, be cautious and ensure you remain a few feet away from the vehicle.
UTILIZE TECHNOLOGY TO STAY SAFE WHILE AWAY FROM HOME
Although the above mentioned tips can help to keep you aware of your surroundings and less likely to become a victim of street crime/theft, many people want a greater sense of security that can only be achieved with professional assistance. Desert Alarm’s Total Track’s Mobile Safety Concierge provides the sense of safety and reassurance that comes from knowing that we can locate and assist you even if your phone does not have GPS capabilities. One phone call to our 24 hour-a-day emergency center gives our competent and highly-trained operators the ability to pull your location from your phone’s GPS or use triangulation technology to quickly find and assist you.
Although there are a number of safety-focused smartphone Apps currently available, Desert Alarm chose to develop Mobile Safety Concierge without the need for an app, because in a highly stressful situation, finding an app on your phone is logistically problematic and unrealistic. Moreover, when apps have been updated or phones reset, the app may not work when you need it!
No downloading is required for Mobile Safety Concierge—it is linked to your phone number and works with your current cell phone on any cellular network—this crucial service is still available even if you upgrade or purchase a new phone!
Mobile Safety Concierge is ideally suited for the following situations:
- Your car breaks down and you are in need of assistance—we will pinpoint your exact location and promptly connect you to roadside assistance.
- You are concerned that you are in a dangerous situation but do not want help dispatched if unnecessary—we will locate you, stay on the line with you, and (if needed) send help to your current location.
- You are a student who feels unsafe and you make the call from your campus—in this case we will notify campus security and also have the option to send a mass text notification to all registered cell phones on your campus.
WHY CHOOSE DESERT ALARM?
Desert Alarm is a local home alarm company that has provided cutting edge security services for our neighbors here in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta, Palm Desert) for over 24 years. Our services go far beyond simple home security measures—we want to keep you and your family safe when you are at home, on the road, or out of town. We have served over 17,000 local customers, and take pride in giving our clients the peace of mind that comes from knowing their family, home, and property are safe and secure. Contact Desert Alarm today by Clicking Here or Calling 760-322-1562 or 800-726-1779